Beiträge von Horned Owl

Es kann eine Menge passieren. Kann sein, das gelandete Schiff wird von Centurions besetzt, und wir müssen erstmal draußen einen Guerillakrieg führen und dann die Iason Raum für Raum zurückerobern. Vielleicht gibts einen Riss quer durchs Schiff (sagt man in der vakuumtrockenen Marine auch dwars?), und wir sind von unseren Waffen getrennt und müssen zusehen, wie wir mit dem improvisieren, was wir haben (oh, das wäre spannend). Vielleicht hält sich die ganze Zeit niemand im MARDET auf außer blonden Frauen in roten Kleidchen. Wir werden sehen, wenn wir´s sehen.

So praktisch die Waffenkammer neben dem MARDET sein mag: manchmal ist "unpraktisch" im Sinne des Spiels und durchaus beabsichtigt. Ich erinnere mich an eine Folge der BSG-Serie, wo Centurions die Galactica geentert haben und sich eine Gruppe Piloten, Marines und Zivilisten bis zur Waffenkammer durchschlagen mussten. Eine Menge Spannung und Action, die es nicht gegeben hätte, wären die Explosivgeschosse für die Seitenwaffen direkt in Griffweite gewesen.

Ich erinnere mich auch an meine alte Kompanie, wo man von den Dienststuben aus zur Waffenkammer auch zwei laaange Korridore und vier Treppen steigen musste, weil: im Keller und von extra viel Beton umgeben. Der VersUffz war dort ein sehr einsamer Mann.

Gut, wir waren auch Fernmelder; gegebenenfalls zieht der Jäger oder Marineinfanterist ja die unmittelbare Nähe explosiver Stoffe vor, schätzt sie sogar als Aphrodisiakum... oder so.

So, ich hab die entsprechenden Bilder ausgewählt. Jan und Solan: ich hab euch jetzt doch jeweils mit einem Bild mit drin. Schaut mal nach, ob es für euch OK ist.

Ich würde mich freuen, wenn ihr die Bilder einmal durchschauen und euch bei mir melden könntet - gebt mir bitte die Nummern der Bilder an, auf denen ihr abgebildet seid, und jeweils den Vermerk GENEHMIGT oder NICHT GENEHMIGT. Ohne die ausdrückliche Genehmigung der Abgebildeten wird keines der Bilder veröffentlicht.

Die ausgewählten Fotos findet ihr hier:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ep…SKg4cSR9Fj1N7mSzSfna?dl=0

Es sind noch vier Bilder mit dabei, die nicht von mir sind (sie stammen von früheren Cons hier in der Galerie), die ich aber gerne mit verwenden würde. Deshalb wäre ich froh, wenn mir die Orga dazu die Erlaubnis gäbe.

Als CPL Nalim sich (in-play) darüber ausgekotzt hat, dass Du immer noch den Terminkalender des CO führtest und sie plötzlich eure Telefonistin war, musste ich lachen, weil die Situation so absurd war - aber unentbehrlich ist, wer sich unentbehrlich macht. ^^

Danke schön! Ich geb mir Mühe. Der Arzt, den ich suche, ist untersetzt, mit schwarzem Bart und Brille, nie um einen gelassen-humorvollen Spruch verlegen. Nicht uniformiert. Dr. Cole? Könnte hinkommen.

CONCLUSION

The action described above was only a tiny part of what was going on everywhere on the ship. Everyone had their own plot that kept them busy up to the final klaxon. Several times, I would have given my right arm to be able to be in several places at once.

What is there to say? I am a monstrously spoiled LARPer, a harsh critic, and this was the one convention I wasn´t able to find any substantial fault in. Believe me, I tried. TC 13 may have been in any number of ways the best con in my twenty-six years of LARP. I am hooked now, and I will definitely return for the 14th installment.

THE PLAYERS

Most of the players were in their thirties, so the average age was older than at most other LARP conventions. This fact showed in a very mature, thoroughly respectful and deeply immersed style of play. There was an even ratio of female to male players, which was also very different to the 10% to 20% usual in LARP. I also noticed a deep sense of community and togetherness, which was balanced by a genuine readiness to accept new players into the fold. The lines between NPCs and player characters were pretty blurred, with players always ready to support plot elements and NPCs acting freely within their given backgrounds.

Officers and NCOs, whether players or NPCs, always had an eye on the needs of their subordinates, both in- and off-play, ordered them to get food or rest where necessary, and kept them busy with interesting tasks before they got bored. In theory, the differences in rank should have created some (off-play) resentment, but they utterly failed to do so, because all officers and NCOs seemed to have been chosen for their responsibility. There was little discrepancy between in-play rank and off-play ability to project authority, which was really fortunate. The most impressive example of this was the woman playing LTCOL Sellars, whose powerful presence would have stood her out as the commanding officer even if she hadn´t worn insignia.

In fact, all players seemed to fit their respective slots more or less perfectly. The pilots were tall, spare, fit, good-looking, and superbly self-assured. The deckhands were jovial, good-natured and pudgy. The Marines had broad shoulders and a grim attitude. The civilians were a diverse lot, but they also fit their respective bills. There was Tauronian gun moll Amber Fort, a beautiful, lean, mean, impeccably dressed knife-blade of a woman. There was Mr Bent, who was the archetype of the meddling newshound and could either bulk threateningly or smile like a serene Buddha. Dr Eldar was the supreme egotist, with an immense self-confidence that his slight frame could hardly contain. The psychological counselor was an (off-play!) blind man who negotiated the maze of corridors and stairs with the same ease as the seeing players did. There were many others just as impressive.

Characters, both NPCs´ and players´, had immense depth of personality and were wonderfully flawed, interesting and unique. (I marvelled at the ability of the referee team to come up with a new, colourful character background story at a moment´s notice.) Scratch a character, and they would spill a lot of hooks to start a conversation and interact. All had their little secrets and hidden sides to their personality that were a delight to discover.

THE ACTION

The setting was deeply immersive and atmospheric, and there was precious little slack – I felt like neither of my characters had had a single minute to think before the next turn of events overtook them and forced them to act. The „flow“ was always there. Even chowtime at the mess was filled with tension or action, with the right mixture of physical confrontation, emotional stress and interaction. There were plenty of moral grey areas and insightful scenes that had me second-guessing myself.

Military LARP, I realised, made a strict timetable of events possible, because the ship´s official schedule and „orders from above“ could be cited to make things happen at exactly the right time. This made TC 13 one of the most structured LARP conventions I ever attended.

MINOR FAULTS AND GENERAL NITPICKING

The „steerage deck“ was never a problem. Players were so swallowed up in their respective plot that I felt nobody really noticed the conditions. The NERF guns, with their candy colours, somewhat distracted from the optical effect of the uniforms and surroundings, but that could not be helped: since parts of the outdoors area could be seen from the outside of the fence, guns needed to be recognisable as toys, or a passer-by might have called the police. More of an issue was the tendency of the electric NERFs to jam, which was a constant nuisance in heavy combat. I realise that NERFs are probably the best solution at hand, but they appear to be far from ideal. I hasten to add that this didn´t detract from the playing experience in the slightest.

SO WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TRAVELLER?

I believe that the TC pattern could easily be adapted to the Traveller setting. In fact, during play I was reminded at every turn of Traveller tropes. Much of the action could have taken place during any of the Frontier Wars, with Consular Guard infiltrators replacing the Cylon skinjobs and Zho battle robots the Centurions. The interactions between bridge crew, MARDET, pilots, civilians and deckhands were hardly all that different from what they would have been between Navy, Scouts, Marines and tramp freighter crews, and the different racial and planetary backgrounds were also there, with Gemenians, Sagittarians, Tauronians and Scorpians in lieu of Zhodani, Vilani, Sword Worlders, Solomani and Jonkeereen.

Traveller has a similarly canonised background to Battlestar Galactica, but would, obviously, offer a bit more freedom of venue since the con´s setting could be a civilian trade vessel, a scout cruiser, a space station habitat, or a starport – and if the area has an outdoor component, even an alien planet to explore. What a Traveller LARP would definitely need is a dedicated orga crew and a community-fed website for SOME fixed and agreed-upon standards, such as Naval, IISS and Marine uniforms and insignia.

In any case, the TC cons prove that, with the help of an enthusiastic community, it is possible to find the right area and create a believable science fiction LARP.

So say we all!